Dates: December 1-12, 2019
Maximum Group Size: 6 Clients
Cost of Trip: USD $3,500
Trip begins in Quito, Ecuador
Our Ecuador Volcanoes Expedition for the 2019 Season
- Climb three classic peaks in a single trip Illinizas, Cotopoxi, and Chimoborazo
- Perfect training peak to prepare for a future attempt of Himalayan Peaks
- Orizaba veteran IFMGA Ecuadorian and American Guide staff
Let Mountain Professionals take you there
Want to learn more about climbing Orizaba, the third highest mountain in North America? Contact us today and we will give you all the info you need.
Highlights of our trip
- Private transports throughout the expedition
- Veteran American and Ecuadorian mountain guides with over a decade of guiding in Ecuador, to ensure seamless delivery and safety procedures
- Access to satellite phone and email, dispatches of the team progress on our news site
- Emphasis is placed on providing high end logistics, staff, equipment and services to a small team of climbers
- Accommodation in quaint lodges and hotels
Join us for a climb of three Ecuadorian classics in the Andes Range. First climbed in 1880, Chimborazo is the highest mountain in Ecuador and an excellent experience for the aspiring mountaineer. In preparation for the summit of Chimborazo, our team will acclimatize by taking beautiful treks in the surrounding hills near Quito and then go on to do a series of climbs on the Illinizas up to 5,248 m (17,218 ft) and on Cotopaxi 5,897 m (19,347 ft). The Ecuador Volcanoes expedition is an excellent way to expand your Alpine climbing skills and learn from our instructors in varied high altitude terrain. This expedition is the perfect next step on the road to peaks such as Denali and Everest and has served as the choice for mountaineers as a true high altitude climbing expedition with relatively short approaches and hut based climbing.
Pico de Orizaba is easily accessible from Mexico City, a short drive to the town of Tlachichuca brings us to the base of the mountain. We will spend a night in town to take in the views of the mountain and sample the exquisite local cooking. Before making our way to the start of the climb we have time to pack and organize equipment on the sunny grass of our logistics operators hacienda.
A 4-wheel drive truck ride will transport the group and gear to the Piedra Grande hut located at 13,972 feet on the mountain. Here we will take a day or two to relax, hike, and acclimatize. As soon as we have taken some time to review basic skills, we are ready to climb to the summit.
The route travels via moderate snow slopes of the Jamapa Glacier. After several hours ascending the snow slopes we reach the crater rim. A short traverse along the exciting summit ridge leads to the summit of Orizaba.
After the climb we will join in a celebration dinner back in town and then transport back to Mexico City for the culmination of the expedition.
Recent Trip Results
- December 2018 – Upcoming Trip
- Day 1: November 30th: night at Hotel Embassy at the famous “Mariscal” area. See Quito visit day.
- Day 2: December 1: Acclimatization hike, and then after Ruco Pichincha back to Embassy Hotel in Quito.
- Day 3: After Otavalo Market and a short hike we go enjoy the great farmhouse of Casa Mojanda
- Day 4: We drive to the Ilinizas Area and hike for 3 hours to Ilinizas Hut
- Day 5: Summit day at Ilinizas after a great climbing day we go rest and enjoy jaccuzzi at La Chuquiragua lodge at El Chaupi
- Day 6: Move to Cotopaxi hut.
- Day 7: Cotopaxi hut
- Day 8: After the summit attempt at Cotopaxi we go rest at Tambopaxi in the national park
- Day 9: We drive to Chimborazo area and stay at La Estrella del Chimborazo lodge
- Day 10: Drive to Chimborazo hut
- Day 11: Hut if we stay for weather otherwise drive to Baños city to rest for night
- Day 12: Drive back to Quito during the day time and depart home flight.
Trip Cost Includes
- Mountain Professionals Mountain Guides
- Pick up / drop off at Airport to / from our hotel
- Hotel Accommodations (based on double occupancy)
- Breakfasts in hotels
- Private transports
- Lunches and Dinners per schedule. Note some meals on own, arrival night, last night before flight etc.
- Full mountain services, equipment, meals, group climbing gear
- Shared Porter service for group gear where required
- Climbing and Hut permits
- First Aid Kits, Radios, and safety equipment
Price does not include
- Items of personal nature, individual travel costs, delays, taxis, etc
- Personal clothing or gear
- Alcoholic drinks and personal snacks
- Recommended Travel/Trip Cancellation Insurance
- Staff gratuities