Dates: July 11 – 31, 2021
Cost of Trip: USD $7,700
Trip begins in Islamabad, Pakistan
K2 Base Camp Trek – Gondogoro La Pass 2021 season
For the 2021 season, we return to the Karakoram Range for the ultimate High Altitude Trekking Adventure, program to includes:
- Accommodation at our 4 star Marriott Hotel in Islamabad
- Led by our western Professional Mountain Guide and assisted by our local assistant guides
- Porter assisted trip
- Spend the night at the base of K2 for an unforgettable experience
- Route includes the famous trek over the Gondogoro La Pass to exit the mountains
- High end logistics, transfers, hotels
- Led by a Wilderness First Responder certified Mountain Guide for safety
Let Mountain Professionals take you there
Want to learn more about Trekking to K2 Base Camp, the most classic Karakoram trek? Contact us today and we will give you all the info you need.
Highlights of our trip
- We stay in the 4 Star Luxury Marriott Hotel in Islamabad
- Domestic flight from Islamabad to Skardu and return
- Base camp meals prepared by our local cook staff in a full kitchen
- Veteran western mountain guide leading the trek ensure seamless delivery
- Trek over the Gondogoro La Pass for unmatched views of the Karakoram mountains
- Comfortable camp and dining tent at camp each evening on the trek
- Access to satellite phone and internet, daily dispatches of the team´s progress
- Emphasis is placed on providing great meals while on the expedition
Recent Trip Results
- June 2016
- June 2007
- June 2006
This is the ultra-classic Himalayan Trek in the Karakoram Range of Pakistan and travels directly through some of the most famous mountain terrain in the world. Our goal will be to reach the site of K2 Base Camp located at an altitude of over 16,000 feet. Along the way, we will trek through famous Balti villages and take in some of the most breathtaking views of the Trango Towers, Gasherbrums, Concordia, and of course K2.
We will begin in expedition in the capital city of Islamabad, Pakistan. Islamabad is nestled near a national park in the northeastern part of the country on the Pothohar Plateau. A surprisingly young city at just 60 years old, Islamabad was imagined and constructed as the new capital city to replace Karachi. The city is divided into 8 different zones which house a mix of modern and old, with an abundance of financial, educational, and residential areas. Islamabad is home to an incredible 12 universities and is the financial hub of the country. We will spend some time exploring the cultural areas before and after the trip to the mountains and take a visit to a museum and other points of interest.
We will be staying at the Marriott Hotel, which is accustomed to housing many foreign tourists, diplomats and the like. A very comfortable spot to begin and end a memorable trip into the mountains of a dynamic and beautiful country.
Once we leave Islamabad, we plan on taking the domestic flight over some of the most spectacular mountain scenery, arriving in Skardu. This is the historic launching point for all the Karakoram trekking and climbing expeditions for many decades. Skardu is a small city located at an elevation of 2,228 m (7,310 ft) in the Gilgit-Balitstan region and is the gateway to the high mountains. Our team will spend two evenings here to prepare for the journey via 4 x 4 Land Cruiser over rugged terrain to reach the last village on the edge of the wild Central Karakoram National Park, the highest national park in the world and the largest protected area in Pakistan.
From the village of Askole, we begin the trek on the un-inhabited trails toward the high mountains. Along the way we transition from visiting with farming families, into the last outposts of small herding huts before leaving all civilization behind. Each evening our team of guides and porters will build camp, complete with member sleeping tents and a dining and kitchen tent. A welcome refuge each day to end a walk through spectacular and varied terrain.
Once we reach the head of the Karakoram Valley, we are camped at the historic Concordia camp, the turning point on the glacier moraine. This the turning point to visit either the K2 and Broad Peak area to the west, or the Gasherbrum Group to the right. It is one of the most scenic locations on planet earth.
A long days trek will bring us to the foot of the second highest mountain in the world K2. While sleeping at the foot of the K2, we will meet mountaineers from around the world staging their attempt to climb K2.
The K2 Base Camp Trek is a non-technical walk through amazing mountain scenery, but it is a demanding trek. The days are longer and more remote than a similar trek in the Himalayas of Nepal. There are no teahouses or villages along the way, and the distances are longer than for example an Everest Base Camp trek. We will take a great deal of care in acclimatizing our bodies to the extreme altitude. Even though this is a non-technical trek suitable for beginner and experienced alike, we will manage the schedule very carefully and utilize our staffs local knowledge to deliver the safest and most encompassing cultural experience available. Our Mountain Professionals staff have led numerous expeditions to this area and are veterans of Karakoram climbing expeditions to mountains such as K2, Gasherbrum 2, and Broad Peak.
- Day 1: Arrive at Islamabad International Airport. Our team transports to the Marriott Hotel, briefing in Ministry of Tourism, overnight in hotel. Evening visit to the famous and one of the biggest Mosque of the world (Faisal Mosque) plus Team welcome dinner.
- Day 2: Spectacular domestic flight to Skardu, with views of the Karakoram and Nanga Parbat.
- Day 3: Today we spend in Skardu exploring the area and stay in the Mashabrum Hotel.
- Day 5: Travel by 4 x 4 Jeep to Askole, the last village at the end of the rugged road and the trail that leads all the way to K2. Camping in Askole Village.
- Day 6: Trek to Jolha: Trek along the Braldu River over barren land surrounded by the incredible mountain scenery. Jolha is located on the banks of Dumurdo at an altitude of 3,300 meters and a day walking distance is 6 to 7 hours, overnight in camp.
- Day 7: Trek to Paiju: The trail alternates between the riverbed and terraces above crossing boulder fields and side streams. En route we take in the views of Paiju peak 6,600 meters and the Cathedral Towers 6,017 meters. Paiju is located at 3,425 meters and walking distance is 6 to 7 hours, overnight in camp.
- Day 8: Rest Day in Paju: Paju is like an Oasis in the desert. Here we have one day rest under the shade trees and use the time for acclimatization. From here we will have view of Great Trango Tower.
- Day 9: Trek to Urdukus: It is the longest walk in the whole trek. After 30 minutes of walk we will approach the snout of Baltoro Glacier. En route the view of Uli Biaho (6,200 meters), Name Less Tower 6200meters), Lobsang (6000meters), Urdukus (6,800 meters), Urdukus is located at an altitude of 4,050 meters, 8 to 9 hours trek, overnight in camp.
- Day 10: Trek to Goro II: The trail descents and goes out to the glacier middle. En route the view of Masherbrum (7821meters), Gasherbrum-IV (7952meters) m. Goro II is located at the altitude4382meters. 6 to 7 hours trek, overnight in camp.
- Day 11: Trek to Concordia. Now we are entering in the Throne room of Mountains God Concordia at the altitude of 4650meters where the Godwin Austin Glacier meets the upper Baltoro glacier. Here we have the Majestic view of K-2 (8,611meters) and Broad peak (8,048meters), Ghogolisa (7,765meters), Gasherbrum-IV (7,952meters), Golden Throne (7,004meters) and countless lofty peaks. 4 to 5 hours trek, overnight in camp.
- Day 12: Trek to K2 Base Camp. 7-8 Hours. Spend the evening at the base of K2 and meet climbers from all over the world attempting to climb the peak. Over night in tents.
- Day 13: Trek back to Concordia 8 hours
- Day 14: Trek to Ali Camp 5-6 hours
- Day 15: Trek up and over the Gondogoro La Pass to Khyuspang. Overnight in Lodge.
- Day 16: Trek to Shaicho Camp.
- Day 17: Trek to Hushe Village.
- Day 18: Drive to Skardu in the 4 x 4 vehicles and overnight in Masherbrum Hotel.
- Day 19: Fly from Skardu to Islamabad. Return to Marriott Hotel.
- Day 20: Extra Day for Delays or need to drive from Skardu.
- Day 21: Return Flight Home, Airport Transfer.
Trip Cost Includes
- Mountain Professionals guides.
- Transfer from Islamabad International Airport to and from hotel.
- 2 Nights accommodation in Islamabad at the Marriott Hotel.
- Transfer to and from Skardu via internal flight (weather dependent).
- 3 Nights accommodation in Skardu at Hotel Mashabrum.
- Jeep 4 x 4 to and from Skardu / Askole.
- National Park fees and Permit.
- All tea house accommodation costs.
- Trekking guide, assistant guides, porters and cooks.
- All meals and during trek.
- Camping equipment including tents, tables, and chairs throughout trek.
- Porters for group and personal gear.
- Visa Invitation Letter.
Price does not include
- Items of personal nature, individual travel costs, delays, taxis, etc.
- Personal Pakistan entry visa.
- Meals while in Islamabad, outside of welcome dinner and included breakfasts.
- Personal clothing or gear.
- Alcoholic drinks and personal snacks.
- Required Travel.
- Trip Cancellation Insurance (not required but strongly recommended).
- Staff gratuities for Personal Trek Porter and Trek Guides.