As is the case in the mountains, sometimes the plans change, and that can especially happen here on Aconcagua where the winds play a big part in the progression up the mountain. On the 10th our team had traveled up to camp one fully intentioned to stay one night and then continue to camp two at Nido de Condores and continue upwards on a push for the top. We knew there could be some pretty strong winds but the projection at the time showed that things would calm on the way up over several days. A beautiful evening sunset gave way to late night strong winds but nothing too out of the norm. On the morning of the 11th, the winds gusts built very strong and the mountain was turning into a place no one wanted to be on. After the tents were in danger from side winds and a new forecast that showed another full 24 hours of nuclear winds we decided to descend back to base camp to wait out a change.
Things seem to be improving now and after a rest day here in base camp for the the 12th of Feb. we are now ready to begin our push again for the top. We will move tomorrow on the 13th direct to camp two, if the team is feeling good, which we hope so as everyone seems strong and ready, we will then continue up to camp 3 on the 14th and try to summit on the 15th. We have a day of wiggle room in there if needed for a rest but the prime weather looks to be on the 15th before winds slowly pick up once again up high on the mountain. More news from the upper mountain coming soon and wish the team good weather.