- Climbing Expeditions
- Polar Expeditions
Location: Caucasus Range, Russia
Summit Elevation: 18,880 ft. (5642m)
Dates: July 15-27, 2017
Skill Level: Intermediate
Maximum Group Size: 8 Clients
Cost of Trip: USD $4,800
Trip begins in Moscow, ends in St. Petersburg, Russia
Recent Trip Results
- August 2012 - Dispatches
- July 2010 - Summit - Dispatches
Elbrus Expeditions - 2017 Season
- Snow cat from hut to Pastukhova Rocks for a shorter summit day
- Climb the highest peak in Europe with our experienced guide staff
- Experience both Moscow and St. Petersburg, plus the Caucasus Mountains
Highlights of our Trip
- Plenty of extra days built into the schedule for summit flexibility
- Meals prepared by our local cook throughout the expedition
- Veteran Russian speaking assistant mountain guide and American mountain guides with over a decade of guiding in Russia ensure seamless delivery
- Comfortable dining huts on the mountain, access to satellite phone and internet, daily dispatches of the team progress
- Private transports and quality accommodations
Join Mountain Professionals for a climb of this beautiful and accessible mountain in the heart of Baksan Valley of the Caucasus Mountain Range.
First climbed in 1829, Mt. Elbrus is the highest mountain in Europe and an excellent experience for the aspiring mountaineer. Standing 18,510 feet above sea level, Elbrus is the perfect challenge for those who have had some experience with mountaineering and are looking to test themselves at high altitude or on the 7 summits quest to climb all of the highest summits on each of the seven continents. Elbrus is a great next step on the road to peaks such as Aconcagua with Mountain Professionals.
Elbrus is accessible from Moscow via an internal flight to the town of Mineralnye Vody. From here we take a 3 hour private van transport to the mountain village of Cheget and acclimatize in route to the mountain. We will spend several nights in the village to take in the views and culture before making our way to the start of the climb. A short drive brings us to the base of the mountain and a cable car ride to the Low Huts. Here we will take a day to relax, hike and acclimatize.
The following day we will ride an additional chairlift up to our high camp location at the Pruit Hut. This will be our base for the climb to the summit. We will use the slopes above to acclimatize and review basic skills. From the hut we will make a final climb up to the Pastokhov Rocks at 15,000' in order to properly acclimatize prior to our summit climb.
The route travels via moderate snow and ice slopes up the glacier. After several hours ascending snow the slopes above Pastokhov Rocks, we begin to traverse toward the saddle between the East and West summits. A traverse along moderate terrain, leads to the West summit of Elbrus.
After the climb we will join in a celebration dinner back in the hotel and then transport back to St. Petersburg for the culmination of the expedition. You are free to build in extra time and see this amazing city, which is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Russia.
Day 1: Arrive in Moscow transport to our hotel for rest
Day 2: Expedition overview, gear check & private tour of Moscow sights and famous landmarks
Day 3: Transport to Mineralyne Vody via internal flight and hotel in Baksan Valley
Day 4: Day hike and acclimatization via chairlifts in Cheget up to 11,800 ft.
Day 5: Ride the cable car to the Low Hut, acclimatization walk, stay in hut
Day 6: Ride the cable car to Pruit Hut, use this hut as base for our climb 14,000 ft.
Day 7: We climb to acclimatize to the Pastukhov Rocks located at over 15,000 ft.
Day 8: Summit day to the West summit of Elbrus
Day 9: Extra day for summit attempt
Day 10: Extra day for summit attempt
Day 11: Return to the valley and overnight in the Hotel Povorot
Day 12: Transport to Mineralyne Vody airport and return to St. Petersburg hotel
Day 13: St. Petersburg Airport transfer if you leave/Flights home
Trip Cost Includes
- Mountain Professionals guides.
- 3 Nights accommodation in Moscow at Hotel.
- Airport pickup upon arrival in Russia.
- Moscow city tour.
- Internal domestic flights and transports to/from Mineralyne Vody.
- Visitor invitation to Russia.
- Registration with OVIR.
- All mountain transports.
- Baksan Valley hotel 3 nights in Hotel Povorot.
- All hut or camping fees for the climb.
- All meals and cooking utensils on mountain.
- Snow Cat transport on summit day to Pastukhov Rocks.
Price Does Not Include
- Items of personal nature, individual travel costs, delays, taxis, etc.
- Personal Russia entry visa.
- Personal clothing and climbing gear.
- International Airfare.
- Personal clothing or gear.
- Alcoholic drinks and personal snacks.
- Recommended Travel/Trip Cancellation Insurance.
- Excess baggage fee on Domestic Flight over 20 kg. limit.
- Staff gratuities.